Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Book Preview: Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth


Full disclosure this review is based on only a sample portion of the following book and the sample was provided by the publisher.





A while back I won a contest from HMH Books to win a first look sample of the first part of Veronica Roth's new adult book "The Chosen Ones" and some really awesome buttons. And I was super ecstatic! A book and buttons?! Dream come true. Then the pandemic started to hit and my reading schedule was a bit delayed. Finally though I settled down to read it (literally the day the book was already scheduled for release), but I read it nonetheless.

Description
A decade ago, 5 teens defeated the Dark One, but now they are all in their twenties and dealing with the aftermath of being the Chosen Ones. How have they dealt with their celebrity status? How have they dealt with the trauma they endured? How will they deal with the new trauma that approaches?

Here's my thoughts:
  • I was immediately super excited about the concept of this book. We don't really get to see the aftermath of our heroes (except in small doses).
  • The characters all seem diverse, but the focus is definitely on Sloane.
  • I actually really like the combo of chapters and "extras" (articles, stand-up routines, etc.). It feels like a very grown-up diary structure which has some appeal.
  • That is a lot of F-bombs. Not for language-sensitive readers.
  • I didn't have enough in my sampler to dive into the real meat of this story, but, let's be honest, if Divergent and Carve the Mark are as popular in your library as it is in mine (with adults in particular), this book will be an easy sell to your patrons. And a wonderful choice for adult books for teen readers. Definitely a book to target to your twenty-somethings.

No comments:

Post a Comment