Friday, August 12, 2016

Why We Weed

Summer is officially over for me! And I have been remiss in my posting lately because of the chaos that summer brought along with it. That being said, my first summer wearing my new Youth Services crown was a wonderful success. And I haven't lost my touch as a teen librarian either: 82 teens signed up for my teen program! Rock on!


While half didn't complete a thing after they picked up their gameboard, that left 42 teens that did! Not too shabby for my first summer here.

But now it's time to start a new series here at Two Book Geeks entitled: "Why We Weed."


Now I will point out that this can include weeding supplies and other materials. Sadly, there are parts of the collection of stuff that I have inherited along with my new job that are a bit less than desirable and have me sighing and asking, "How long has this been here?" and "Why wasn't this tossed away 20 years ago?"

But I suppose that would not be nearly as entertaining.

Now librarians (particularly youth librarians) do have hoarder tendencies. Because "one day I may need this doll's head for something. . ."

That being said I'm trying to adopt a "use it or lose it" attitude as space is always in high demand.

So I am kicking off my Why We Weed series with a poster.


Now I'm all about the Olsen twins and have very fond memories of chilling with TGIF and Full House, but this is a bit dated for our poster collection. Pairing this with our substantial Full House paperbacks featuring "Club Stephanie", "Team Michelle" and a ridiculous variety of "The Adventures of Mary Kate and Ashley"-esque spin-offs (who knew there were so many), this was quite a find.

Even with the series reboot the paperbacks still weren't being read enough to give up valuable shelf real estate.

Needless to say this poster (along with the paperbacks) are saying farewell to the library. Though the poster has been adopted (SCORE!) and will find a new space in a home library.

So everybody bid adieu to one awesomely retro poster!


Weeding can be a chore and isn't everyone's favorite activity, but I usually embrace it. Because you really never know what treasures you will find. And, trust me, this isn't even the best of treasures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment