Thursday, June 16, 2016

Summer is ticking away...

I love summer.
I love the fun programs I finally have the excuse to do.
I love the extra faces that I don't see during the school year.
I love the excitement over books.

But . . .

I do find myself counting down the days until it is over.


It is not for my lack of passion for summer programming. It is simply because I start to miss my sanity as time trails on.




I think there are many misconceptions among non-youth services librarians that don't get how much strain summer places on us. Perhaps most of us are simply too awesome and we don't let the stress show. But no matter how much extra help we have and how wonderful it all is (and it is so epically wonderful) it is a lot to accomplish in a short amount of time.

After nearly 2 weeks have passed for me I find I am amused by the little things we do to cope-particularly my assistant's fondness for crossing the days off of our staff calendar.

That being said we will always continue to give it our all and promote our awesomeness (because we are so very awesome at we do).

And don't forget to brag about your little triumphs. Here's mine: My first week of SLP brought in 25 Rubber Duck Registrations (birth-2 years old)-which has shocked my assistant. It also brought in 151 registrations for the 3 year-5th grade age group-which is not too shabby at all. And my teen registrations, you ask?    45!       Not too bad at all considering last year they had about 18 teens.


Now that is definitely something to brag about!

No comments:

Post a Comment