Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Stop! Hammer Time! I Can Art This!




This is by far the program I am most excited for this summer! And, frankly, I'm already loving showing off my new, old hammer.

This particular project was partially inspired by our summer theme of "Build a Better World", but also partly inspired by Gilmore Girls (giving credit where credit is due).


I fell in love with that hammer back in the day and as I was planning my summer programming I thought, "The time has come!" So with inspiration and a supply of brand new paints to try out from Plaid Enterprises, I set off to create what I think may top Lorelei's creation.

I will try to create a follow-up post showing off other creations from my teens and my staff this summer (and myself because I'm sure I'm not quite done yet).

Supplies

Hammer (or other tool. Heck, we just picked up an old squeegee for 50 cents...)
Paint Brushes
FolkArt Color Shift Paint
FolkArt Brushed Metal Paint
Assorted Decorations (feathers, googly eyes, beads, ribbons, stickers, Mod Podge and Magazines, sky's the limit)



The Steps



Step 1

Sand the wood to get off any old paint or varnish.







 

 

Step 2

Gather your paints and start coating your tool. I used the Brushed Metal for the head because I was digging the Antique Gold finish. I used the Color Shift paint for the handle because I really wanted to experiment with it on wood. I wanted to see some of the wood undertones, so I did not do a base coat.



 

 

 

 

Step 3


Add your embellishments. Somehow mine ended up becoming a bird of some sort. I didn't really plan it, but . . . Happy Accidents, and all . . .

Final Product

The coolest hammer in my town. At least until the end of June when I'm sure some teens will give me a run for my money in the creative department.












*Disclaimer
I sometimes receive free products from Plaid Enterprises to test out on projects and use at my discretion. The opinions and projects that result from this relationship are mine.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for presenting to we the SEKLS ladies today via Zoom. This is such a cute an unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It ended up being so much fun and I'm just glad they loved it as much as I did. My dad (whose hammer this once was) was also very impressed (probably not really, but he does humor me.

      Delete