Wednesday, February 17, 2021

SLP 2021: Coasters

 

I was using it as a coaster gif
 

Confession: I think I may have an odd obsession with coasters. Over the years, I have inadvertently acquired a ridiculous amount of coasters in my home. Like ridiculous.

Of these coasters, I have about a good dozen that I have made. Why? Because they were craft samples for library programs for teens and adults.

This summer, my coaster obsession will continue to grow with animal print options.


For my summer samples, I have made 3 varieties of coasters. Two using tile and one using a cork round.

Let's start with the cork round.

 

Gather Your Supplies

  • Cork Round
  • Paint: I used Apple Barrel Paints in Pavement and White
  • Brush
  • Stencil: I used some animal print stencils I had lying around.
  • (optional) Outdoor Mod Podge: To seal it.

 

Step 1:

Give it a base coat. Let dry.

You may need to do a couple of coats here depending on the degree of coverage you want.



Step 2: 

Pull out your stencil and add on your pattern. Let dry.


Optional:

Add a coat or two Outdoor Mod Podge. I do recommend this step.



Now onto the tile coasters.

First, is a sample that is done with the same steps and materials as the cork round.

This time, I used FolkArt Color Shift Paint in Green Flash.

But let's look at the fabric covered coaster.


Gather Your Supplies

  • Tile
  • Outdoor Mod Podge
  • Sponge Brush
  • Fabric-I used this lovely mermaid looking fabric because mermaid tails and all.
  • Scissors

Step 1

Coat your tile in Mod Podge and lay down your fabric.

 


Step 2

Cover your fabric in another coat of Mod Podge. Let dry. Repeat this step.


Step 3

It is easiest to trim down your fabric after the Mod Podge dries and hardens.


Step 4

Add some cushion to the bottom of your tile coasters to protect your surfaces.

 

And you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment