Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Roswell Inspired: Artwork

I have vague memories of the TV Show Roswell from back in the day. Remember this one



So when I knew we had a space summer approaching, it really got my brain pondering how/if this could be used. Then I found out that the show was getting rebooted this year.


I couldn't believe me timing! I had inadvertently planned around something that was actually trendier than I had intended.


Now, I have still not seen the reboot, but I did make sure to invest in the box set of the original series for our library. I think this would be an interesting show to center a watch party around. We have event discussed doing it in May and having it double as volunteer work days to finalize summer preparations.


Moving on to my point....

One of the things I love about the show is the set and I feel like there is a lot of inspiration to be gained from this.

One thing that I am really dig, but can't figure out the logistics of how I could do is this


Could we construct a UFO crashing into our library for the summer? How cool would that be?!

While this one probably won't be happening (I just can't see my director going for this, but we shall see), another set design has inspired my teen space summer decor and a teen program.


It is hard to see in this photo, but the interior of the Crashdown Cafe sports some awesome custom artwork. They took very traditional art/prints and gave them an alien vibe.


Our plan is the same. We have been hitting our local thrift shop and getting very delightful framed prints and have begun to give them subtle hints of space. Our goal is to make them look at first glance like very normal, "old-people" paintings, but then once you look closer. BAM!

So essentially we start off with something like this


And with after using some FolkArt Color Shift paints you get this:


This will be a slower prep cycle to get them purchased, painted and then hung up just before the summer starts, but I think it will end up looking awesome! [At least I hope.]

The other side of this is the program side. We have found some super-cheap prints that just have matting and some old movie posters (I may or may not have a ridiculous amount of movie posters in my possession from years of working in a movie store.) and we will be letting teens do the same thing to decorate the walls of their homes.

I will post our teen space once everything gets mounted on the walls in May. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment