Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Dark Unicorn Art

Ah, Unicorns. Does it get any more fanciful?


This summer's theme, in particular, is just ideal for all things Unicorn and I don't think teens should be excluded from that.

Another thing I adore: stencils.

Enter Hallmark!

They have these delightful stencil packs:

https://plaidonline.com/products/hallmark-handcrafted-adhesive-stencils-little-princess-design-pack-8-1-2-x-9-1-2
Clicking will take you to Plaid Online to find the product page.

Yes, this is indeed called "Little Princess Design" and while you may think it limits the use of it to a very sparkly art-it really doesn't have to.

It reminds me of this. Let's not assume. With that let's get crafting!

Supplies:
Canvas
Paints (what I used is included in the steps, but feel free to bring your own color choices into the mix)
Brushes
Embellishments (gems, flowers, etc.)


Step 1:
Basecoat your canvas.



Step 2:
Line up your stencil and dab on your paint. A small sponge brush will help control the flow of your paint. 





 Step 3:
Now, glitter (if you want). I don't think glitter always has to be so limited to happy things. It's all in use. And, frankly, I friggin' love glitter.

I used FolkArt Glitterific Paint in Silver. And if you don't have some of these paints already I strongly urge you to pick some up. I have the feeling most of us in Library Land are going to be quite glittery this summer.

 Step 4:
Time for embellishments. Blood red eyes, and some blood spatter on the horn makes for some lovely artistic choices.


Step 5:
 Turns out some spiky blood red jewels add a nice touch.


Step 6:
Flowers? Maybe.... Maybe not....



Best thing about this craft? There are so many directions teens can take this craft. Dark, rainbows, dark rainbows.

And, yes, this incomplete, but I every time I show them a finished piece they seem to think they have to follow it to the letter as some wacky paint-by-numbers and they have to do exactly what I do.

*Disclaimer
I sometimes receive free products from Plaid Enterprises to test out on projects and use at my discretion. The opinions and projects that result from this relationship are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment