Thursday, February 27, 2020

DIY Fairy Gnome

In prepping for this summer, I have immersed into a refresher course in all things fantasy and mythology which led me into the interesting field of gnomes. And there are some things you just cannot un-know. So, naturally, I wish to not be alone in my random knowledge.




I have been planning to do something gnome-ish all along to tie in with the fantasy side of the summer, but now I can also say that this totally ties in with mythology as well.

Enter Priapus.

Priapus was the son of Aphrodite (and either Dionysus or Hermes depending on where you look). Statues of him were placed in gardens to bless them and grant them fertility. Some sources link this the origin of garden gnomes.

Now, what you don't need to know (but it's a fun fact), the fertility side of things comes from the fact that Priapus had an absurdly long phallus. I am not sharing a photo of this (because...no), but feel free to do a nice Google image search if you feel the need.

Now onto our gnome activity.

I found this lovely guy at Dollar Tree and was super excited to get started making him creepy.

But plans changed. For the better I think.

Supplies:
Gnome
Paints
For mine, I used:
Apple Barrel's Bimini Blue, Purple Iris
FolkArt's Color Shift Aqua Flash, Fire Coral, Multi-Surface Baby Pink, Glitterific Princess
Brushes




Wire (Jewelry or Floral will work)
Fabric
Glue Gun
Scissors

Hat in Bimini Blue for base coat and then topped with Aqua Flash.


Beard in Purple Iris




Shirt in Fire Coral


Pants in Baby Pink


Time to Glitterfy that beard!

Shape your wires into wings and cover with your fabric.

Glue your fabric on and then trim it down.

Glue your wings onto your gnome.

Enjoy your fabulous new Gnome Fairy!

*Disclaimer
I sometimes receive free products from Plaid Enterprises to test out on projects and use at my discretion. The opinions and projects that result from this relationship are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment